A Functional Medicine Consultation
What is Functional Medicine? According to The Institute for Functional Medicine the approach is to determine how and why illness occurs and restore health by addressing the root causes of disease for each individual. Book a consultation today!
What will I get from a consultation?
- Realistic, and clearly defined health goals for the short- and long-term
- Confidence that your concerns were heard; your health history, symptoms and lifestyle and dietary struggles are our top priority during your consultation
- An understanding of how your diet and lifestyle may have contributed to your symptoms
- A clear idea of the next steps you need to take in terms of dietary and lifestyle changes
- Satisfaction that you have optimised your nutrition by supporting each system in your body
- Safe, online video and continuous email contact
Please see our Terms & Conditions before booking a consultation.
15 minute telephone Q&A – free
Are you wondering whether Nutritional Therapy is the right route for you? Would like to see whether we could work together? Sign up for a free 15 minute chat to find out and we’ll call you at the designated time. No obligation. Working with any type of therapist is very personal so take the first step and you’ll see how we can help you be in charge of your health. You can read more about our offering below.
What’s the best plan for me?
Nutrition guidance – €50
This lightweight nutrition guidance consultation is 30 minutes and you can take notes during the session. After your appointment, we’re always available for quick questions by email.
There are four types of people that this short consultation works best for:
- Newbies – You have just barely started to think that the food you eat might be affecting your health. Where do you start to learn more? Right here! The Nutrition guidance consultation is a great way to find out what your symptoms might mean and where to begin testing, or what foods to start including to make the biggest impact.
- Rebels – You are independent and like to be in control of your life. If you are keen on doing your own research, but don’t want to waste time then this session will point you in the right direction and prevent you from going down a rabbit hole, aka the interweb!
- Buddhas – You know nutrition is the gateway to health (and also disease) and you want to jump in, but want to find the right therapist. This is also a good way to dip your toe into how functional medicine might help you before you jump into one of our packages.
- Economists – It’s been a long time suffering with these symptoms and you know you need guidance, but don’t have the money to pay for a full package. This will be the best way to get started and we can talk about the options going forward.
This is the perfect way to dip your toe in the water and get moving in the right direction. Only one session per person.
Starter’s package – €295
Ready to really get moving with your health?! The Starter’s Package is the perfect way to initiate change, stay motivated and see some results. We can establish your goals, create a plan, get any testing done and get you started on the road to reducing your symptoms.
This package includes 1 initial intake + 2 follow up consultations. When you book this package, you’ll receive an invoice within 48hrs. It will include dates of the follow up appointments so you can make a claim to your insurance, but the dates can be altered to fit your schedule when you come to your initial appointment.
Initial consultation x1
We’ll sit together for 1.5 hours and establish your goals and discuss your health history. Our investment in you includes preparation and research based on your questionnaire and a detailed programme that we agree together. The personalised programme that you receive will include explanations on what we discussed around food, exercise, supplements and tests. See our consultations page for more details.
Follow up consultations x2
A shorter version of the initial consultation, we’ll discuss changes, test results and how to move forward. You’ll receive the same detailed health plan and have a clear idea on the direction to move in.
Follow up consultation – €85
As above, the follow up appointment is 45 minutes, including a personalised optimised health plan that contains advice on foods, exercise, supplements and tests, where required. We will do the following at each appointment:
- Review your progress
- Agree some adaptations to the plan, if you found anything that was difficult to comply with
- Celebrate any measurable changes in your symptoms;
- Discuss any new symptoms, concerns or direction you want to take
Discussing test results is often a key part of the consultation and often requires changes to the programme. You will always receive copies of the test results and any necessary background information.
One year of consultations – €545
Over the course of the year you’ll have 7 consultations and they will be more frequent in the beginning, while we get to know your goals, what stops you and get you really motivated. We can establish and really focus on your health goals throughout the year. Later in the year we will establish your longterm goals.
Maintenance package – €315
6 x follow up online video consultations of 30 minutes each. A lighter version of the follow up. You’ll receive a lighter version of the personalised programme after each session.
We sometimes recommend that you have some Functional Medicine tests done and it is always up to you; you are in control of your own health and finances. Aside from the tests we may get you to request from your doctor, you may have to pay for the tests yourself in the Netherlands.
Costs depend on test, but range from €35-500 (a kit is sent to your home). You approve all costs before anything is ordered so there are never any surprises.
These tests include:
- Stool analysis
- Nutrient status (hair mineral analysis or other)
- Blood tests (sometimes these are available from your doctor, such as vitamin D, B12 etc)
- Many more are possible
These may be done in our clinic or at your home and have €0 cost
This may include:
- Stomach acid levels
- Thyroid temperature test (Broda Barnes)
- Weight and other anthropometric measurements
- Vitamin C tolerance
Joyce Bergsma is registered with the British Association for Nutrition and Lifestyle Medicine (BANT). Consultation may be covered by your private insurance company, but we make no guarantees. You will not be covered by the basic health insurance in the Netherlands.
You do not need a doctor’s referral in order to book an appointment.
You can confirm with your insurance company and provide these details to them if needed:
- Joyce Bergsma is an Orthomoleculaire Deskundige
- AGB praktijk: 90-56273
- AGB code: 90-047693
Things to note:
- All prices are inclusive of relevant BTW
- Private consultations may be rescheduled or cancelled, but notice of less than 24 hours notice incurs 100% charge.
Frequently asked questions – FAQs
1. *What is Functional testing?
Testing how your body is functioning is done via blood, urine, saliva or stool samples and provides us with a confirmation of what we suspect the underlying problem to be and to what extent the problem is. These tests can greatly influence the recommendations provided and are an extremely useful tool. This involves sending a kit to you so you can provide the sample that is to be tested in an environment that is comfortable. Sometimes we will recommend simple tests that you can do at home for free. This is an integral part of the Functional Medicine model we use in our clinic.
2. How many consultations will I need?
Many clients need a minimum of three consultations before moving onto a ‘Maintenance Package’, but many clients see us for longer. This depends on the programme, how complicated your health concerns are and how much support you need while making sustainable change. For this reason, the packages start with three consultations. This gives us time to give you support, see where you’re headed and allow you to really start to form new habits.
We often spend decades building up disease and it takes time to unwind the issues and to effect change. Don’t be surprised if your body takes some time to heal.
Often this process is dependent on your compliance to the program and can also be influenced to what extent the program goes**. Most people struggle to change their lifestyle due to personal commitments, finances etc, but we are here to support you along the way and help you find the best way to achieve your goals.
3. How and when do I pay for a consultation?
For the initial three consultations, payment is due upfront. Once you’ve made your first appointment booking, you’ll receive a request for payment, which should be paid before the appointment.
For further appointments, payment is due on receipt of the invoice, but you may also pay in cash at the appointment. The invoice will be emailed to you after you receive your nutrition programme.
How do you keep my information private?
We take security very seriously and follow the rules of the GDPR. You can read our Privacy Statement here.
**There are some health concerns where it is safer for you to make changes slowly (ie die-off reaction with candida, dramatic weight loss where there is high toxicity and/or poor digestion etc).
NOTE: Consultation fees will be charged at 100% if less than 24 hours has been given to cancel or change the consultation.